Hey Guys I know I am a little late.. but better late then never..
My IBM Journey Started March 17 with an early morning flight from Montreal to Las Vegas. As uncomfortable as the flight was.. the view was pretty kool.
To my surprise once I landed at the airport I was able to register for IBM think Right there!! Huge time saver… felt sorry for those who were stuck in that massive live on Monday! IBm gets Bonus Points for this!!
My Hotel was Luxor, my first choice was booked but this hotel was perfect. It had a free tram and an easy walk to everything. So no complaints.
First day was amazing… I was not expecting a full breakfast but I am glad it was there. I was also introduced to a new Dessert.. Baked Pancakes with blueberries!! That stuff is good!!
As a new Champ this was really surreal.. the way IBM handled this day was amazing. Of course meeting some of the other champs and making some new friends was awesome too!! More Bonus points for IBM!
Also have to Send a big shout out to Libby and Alan for really making this an amazing Experience for me.
I also have to thank C3UG, the Cross Canada Collaboration User Group (C3UG) for letting me be in their Videos and keeping us informed of all the going ons at Think. Be sure to check their Youtube channel
Quick tip for C3UG,, Next time you ask me to be in a video please insure I am sober!!
As for the rest of the week, it is a blur to me now, but here are the few things I remember.
- Feeling lost, this place was big took a while to get used to everything!!
- Eating on the run!! Or on the floor!
- Human Traffic Jams!!
If that is about all the negative stuff I could think of then that must mean this conference was pretty good!
Main conference themes for me was
- IBM is getting Watson in Everything
- Bid Data + AI will be a game changer
- Cloud everything, Cloud Apps, Cloud Development, Cloud Migration
But that does not mean there was no Domino news.. In fact there was tons. but before we dive into that.. lets recap what occurred before the conference..
Here my opinion of the state of Domino after the conference:
IBM domino development team now works for HCL and I am also guessing that some HCL Developers are also helping out.
As a result, this is probably the biggest investment in Domino in the last 5 year maybe even 10 years!!.
IBM/HCL visited Multiple countries/cites, to gather a wish list of changes from customers and partners to collect feedback and requests and bundle it all in for the next Domino release for Oct.
And they actually listened to our feedback and did stuff!! As crazy as it sounds the stuff they did was exactly what we need and went well beyond my expectations.. in fact I am sure it went beyond anyone’s expectations.
Here a quick list of what was announced
- IPAD full notes client to be released soon, followed by Iphone, and Android versions. This is huge for us because we have 300 customs apps that will now just work. On top of that our notes app look good. And our users perfer them over the Xpage versions.
This was Notes app definitely not on my radar, nor have I would have ever expected this in my wildest dreams. As soon as I get access to this this will be a game changer in my company.
Playing around on the IPad
2. Integration of Node.Js and using domino as a No sql database. Playing with the same tools as everyone and developing apps app meeting today standards is huge. This will allow us to level up our skills as well as allow Devs from outside our community to help out or even dive in.
3. Teamworkr a tool to easily push domino apps to the web and make sure they look good. You guys should check out what they are doing there. With the Notes App for mobile we may consider this for our Customer and Supplier facing apps.
4. Watson assisted Notes apps. I have herd some rumors about this. I Can’t wait to hear more about it.
5. Notes Apps in the cloud. You can replicate your domino apps to the cloud, it is about $270 for 10 apps.
6. Microservices coming to domino
So lets go full Circle now
Notes app on mobile + Teamworkr + 5G Network + Notes App in the Cloud + Add some microservices + Add some Watson = Thats Some pretty powerful stuff!!
Some other kool non domino related stuff
IBM main focus now is Watson, Watson is the Current AI in Oracle, Salesforce, Red Bull, Maserati, Hospitals, Hilton, Universities … Many companies are using Watson and then simply rebrand it as their own. (Salesforce, Einstein is Watson)
IBM is currently the only company with a quantum computer and hopes to have it available for home use in under 5 years
IBM Workspace is sort of collaboration app like sametime chat but it is more Group Chat centered and the chat groups are permanent and contain all history. IBM Watson also participates in the chat and can answer questions, look up information, bring up all discussions on a previous discussed topic. In addition, be used to perform Complex tasks. In the example, provided IBM Watson was used to schedule a meeting retrieve important information, set up a meeting and Book a flight to the destination.
5G NETWORK IBM Partnership with Ericson
Cell phone communication at seeds of 1 GB per Sec to 20 GB per Sec. At that speed, its like your mobile devices are connected to your LAN.
Imagine combining this with the Notes app. Having the full client on your mobile device with a lan connection! This is major good news! The world Go Live Date is in 2020.
Blockchain this.. and blockchain that. I am not going to say too much about this because if the taxi companies didn’t like being disrupted by uber… Imagine how the banking industry will react when we no longer need them to move large amounts of money. I am still in the watch and see mode for this.
Last but not least Meeting the champs was pretty kool too.
Here John showing what being an IBM Champion is all about
Hope you enjoyed the Read catch you guys later.
Here are some other random pics in case you are interested.